A Table of One's Own



For awhile now, I've been feeling the need for a space of my own. The third-floor office feels more like Matt's space, as I no longer work up there, and since little light #2 is still sleeping in our walk-in closet, the bedroom usually isn't available. My default space to hang out has been the couch opposite the television, with my laptop on the side table. A convenient place for vegging or checking email, but not so great for nourishing the spirit.
Enter, a table with a view. As a result of some creative processing work I've been doing with a friend, I got the idea to set up an art table. We happened to have the perfect table upstairs- it was my parents' kitchen table when they were first married, and when I was in college a good friend stripped and refinished it. Matt helped me take out the extra leaves from the dining room table (it's actually a better size for the 4 of us when it's shortened) to create a space at the back of the room for the art table.

My goal is to spend 10-15 minutes there a few evenings a week, doing some sort of art project (collage, painting, drawing, watercolor, etc), listening to music, or just sitting and thinking. It's often hard to motivate myself to do art in the evening, as I'm worn out from the day, but having the table there and my art supplies out makes it a little bit easier.

In the few weeks since it's been set up I've done a few small pieces, which has been lots of fun. But the table has served another function which I didn't anticipate; that of a placeholder. Creating and expressing myself through beauty and color is a huge part of who I am, but my daily life is spent very differently (caring for the physical, emotional, social, spiritual, etc needs of my two little treasures, and running the household as best as I can). This creative/artistic part of me has been getting lost and buried, so that I forget about it much of the time. But now, in the middle of the day, I can glance over and see my oil pastels and sketch pads, and I remember. The artistic part of me comes up to the surface, and I tell her, "Hey- I see you and I like you a lot. I look forward to creating with you later today or tomorrow. In the meantime- aren't those postcards and flowers gorgeous?" And then we both savor the beauty and smile.


My art table; tucked in the corner of the dining room.
With the postcards up and a few more art supplies.

Comments

  1. What a beautiful art space, Elizabeth! I love the open door that table creates for your creative self to peek through, in the midst of the least creative moments of your day. That reminds me of the verse that says "When Jesus opens a door, no one can close it." Let that door be open! Good for you for claiming physical space for your heart's passions and pursuits. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 5, bumps, colds, and beams of love