Creating beauty: On paper and space

I'm still loving my foray into drawing. The women from my spring drawing class and I have kept meeting over the summer. We've met twice so far, and our teacher has come as well. It's great to have companions on this learning journey.

My focus recently has been on light and shadows, which I find much more challenging than contour drawing (edges). Our teacher is fabulous, though, and is pushing me to draw faster and looser, getting the general shapes on the page and then honing the drawing, as opposed to working very slowly on each part from the beginning. It's fun to try this out on the page (who knows, maybe it will run over into my lifestyle too). :)

An onion, with an "on-the-go" sort of feel.
My hand (the background is sort of unfinished).
My foot (another convenient and ever-present model).
 I thought it would be fun to show the stages of a drawing, so for this next one, I took 3 different pictures. The white balance on these is strange, so please ignore the background color of the pages.

After the first very rough sketch, just getting a general idea of the shapes

Starting to add the dark shadows.

And the finished picture.

 In other news, I've been finding a few long-delayed household projects deeply satisfying. After 2+ years, I finally straightened and reorganized the bookshelf by my bed. With having one or the other girl sleeping in our room until very recently, it was tough finding time to do it. It fills me with such peace and satisfaction to look at it.


And another project: making a curtain to hang in front of the open shelves in our bathroom. I bought the material for this 7 or 8 months ago, and finally completed it a few weeks ago. I used this awesome "no-sew" hem tape. You just iron it on and it adheres really well. I love making these kinds of small changes in my environment- creating beauty where (and when) I can.


Comments

  1. love seeing the pictures of your drawings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 5, bumps, colds, and beams of love