Notes from the (social) distance: Day 62; struggling and surviving



I haven't written in awhile. Honestly, it's been a hard stretch. I'm really struggling with the isolation and lack of physical connection with others (outside of my little family, which I am so grateful for). Some days are easier than others, but I've often been feeling depressed. It seems like I'm the only one who is feeling sad about all of this, but I think maybe others are feeling this way too?

I haven't been writing much poetry either, but here is a poem I wrote at writing group last week:

Broken branches

Broken branches are everywhere
like a hurricane has come through
leaving us stranded, in our homes,
the damage invisible.

They say we are still connected
but it’s wires and satellites.
No one can touch each other.
We can’t touch each other.

We are birds in a clear cage
flapping merrily through our days
until we fly into the glass- boom.
We have to grow quiet and small.

I am shrinking the scope of my efforts
from accomplish to survive.
No new growth, but smoothing
and soothing, protecting and healing.

I am becoming close to my body,
caring for her like a soft animal,
giving her rest and hot baths
and strong yarn in her hands.

And she is settling into my care.

-EAF


Otherwise, life continues and we are finding ways to brighten and fill the days. We've planted peas, marigolds and forget-me-nots, thanks to Great-Grandma and Grandma Judy.
Our first pea shoot.

And the girls and I have dyed our hair with semi-permanent hair dye. We each love how it looks.




And we've been making crafts.

Mine- how "together" feels right now.
Lucy's, with flower petals.
Clara's, with mini pencils.
I hope that you are finding peace and moments of joy in your days as well.

The light in me honors the light in you,
Elizabeth

Comments

  1. I like your closing, E. The light in me likes have the light in you honor me. Oh, btw, someone resent the VIA character assessment to me because they have COVID-19 resources now... did you guys ever do that? There's a free survey, scientifically validated (there's also a youth version for 10-17 year olds). And it has 24 character strengths that we all have and indicates what your core strengths are. It's very affirming. Sam had taken it 4 years ago when I first did, so he retook it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 5, bumps, colds, and beams of love