Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest


Family picture, by Clara
We made it through the first week of our improvised homeschooling! Lucy has done most of her school work up in her bedroom, and seems to be enjoying having that privacy and independence. Clara does some downstairs with Matt and some with me in bed, since I’ve been resting a lot (still have the head cold). Today I got to help Clara work on a poem, inspired by a poem about having adventures through reading. The scenes she chose are all from books or stories she read this past week.

On Monday I wrote a book about my dad and I
On Tuesday I climbed on the roof and saw a bird go by
On Wednesday I flew on my broom stick, I felt the wind on my face
On Thursday I sailed across the sea, I saw a new place
On Friday I was almost eaten but then I became a puppy
On Saturday my house got smashed by a falling hot tubby
How do you think I did all that? Well just look
I read all those adventures in just a few books!
-Clara

Nest

I know the coronavirus is impacting everyone in different ways, and has brought lots of challenges with it. I feel lucky/blessed that it hasn't impacted our family in hard ways yet. On the contrary, now that a lot of the activities and rushing around have been taken away, I’m more aware of how much I love Matt and the girls and our lives together. It feels a bit like the coronavirus is a storm which has washed away a lot of dirt, temporarily exposing the strong, deep roots of our tree. I have no idea what challenges we will face, inside and outside over these coming weeks, but for now, I’m feeling deeply grateful for our little family unit. I'm also thankful for the connections I've had with family and friends, and the ways that we are supporting each other.


Feathers


Having the windows open in my bedroom this afternoon to let in the warm, moist air, and hearing spring peepers for the first time this year.
The girls’ creativity. Lucy has been drawing the months of the year as people- so far she is up to September. Her skill with the ipad is incredible, and I love the outfits she designs for them and how they characterize that month. Also, she on purpose decided to make each girl a different races/ethnicity, which makes me happy.

The way that people and communities are coming together and helping each other during this time.


Droppings


The broken record of my cold. For whatever reason colds hit me harder and take me longer to get over than my family.

Having to catch up on some work this weekend because I’ve been sick (the joys of being an editorial office of 1).

Wondering if enough people are doing the social distancing, and/or if it’s working. Feels hard to just wait and see.


The light in me honors the light in you,
Elizabeth

Comments

  1. Great poem! I'd like to see Lucy's illustrations too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow all my comments are posting as unknown... -caitlin

      Delete
    2. That's okay. I know who you are. :) I guess you're taking Elsa's song literally (Into the unknown!).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Necessary Nuisances