Notes from the (social) distance: Day 13, Endless song



Hi dear ones! Since this whole thing is becoming more of a marathon than a sprint, I'm adjusting my blog schedule to posting every few days or so.

The first week or so I was feeling pretty good emotionally, but the past few days have been harder. I think it's partly that the adrenaline has worn off and we're all settling into this new normal. I'm finding that it takes some concentrated effort and attention each morning to calm and stabilize my emotional self. Thankfully I have the tools (yoga, journaling, art supplies, meditation, etc) and have been practicing this sort of thing for awhile.

As part of this, over the last few days I've been drawing my focus in, instead of worrying about everything that's going on. It's kind of like walking on a tightrope and how you need to not look down, but just look straight ahead. I'm continuing to look out for ways that I can help others (like donating blood or contributing to local food pantries), but am trying to avoid focusing on the big picture situation for too long.

The Enya version of this song "How can I keep from singing" brought a lot of peace and comfort this morning:


My life goes on in endless song
Above earth´s lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.
Can you spot the running girls?

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear its music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?
While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness 'round me close,
Songs in the night it giveth.

No storm can shake my inmost calm,

While to that rock I´m clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Challenges

* More fighting/crying/tears than usual over the past few days

* Getting back into another week- we were really off on our schedule Monday and I felt pretty disregulated about it and stressed about work

* Trying to find ways for Clara to connect with her friends, since usually a lot of her connection time is playing together, not sitting and talking (Lucy's been enjoying facetime chats with her friends)

* It feels hard that our president is giving mixed messages that are at odds with what the public health experts are recommending. I really wish we had a leader who made me feel better about this situation, instead of one who gives lots of confusing and contradictory statements

Joys

* Smiley faces with sunglasses in the snow (courtesy of Clara)

* Family walks- yesterday we heard woodpeckers and chickadees (which Clara learned is the Massachusetts state bird)

* Knitting- I'm starting a mini hippo for Matt and some more little owls

* Coloring- The girls and I are coloring some designs with affirmations, like "Enjoy the little things" and "Hope is stronger than fear"



The light in me honors the light in you,
Elizabeth

Comments

  1. Keep your head up! It's amazing how quickly people can adapt to change and new routine. I'm sure in a week your new schedule will feel comfortable!

    Lots of people in my neighborhood have started putting drawings of rainbows in their windows. It's very heartening to see on my daily walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really cool idea! Maybe we can do that too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 5, bumps, colds, and beams of love