Notes from the (social) distance: Day 5, bumps, colds, and beams of love



First day

Our first day of homeschooling went pretty great. We followed our schedule, and though there was some complaining, I think overall it helped us all to have a plan to stick to. The girls did the virtual learning assigned by their teachers, we went on a long family walk in the woods, and Matt and I each got the work done that we needed to. We ended the day watching the first half of “School of Rock” together, which we all really loved (who doesn’t love Jack Black??).


Bumps

There were a few unexpected bumps, as we worked out how we will follow social distancing in the context of family and friend relationships. I didn’t realize how tricky this can be. We live in a townhouse development, and in the afternoon we let our younger daughter play outside with a neighbor’s daughter, with the view that we consider this other family part of our family group. Another neighbor questioned whether this was a good idea, which was well meant, but sent me into a bit of a tailspin. I also talked with a few friends/relatives yesterday who were trying to gauge what they should and shouldn’t be doing under the social distancing recommendations. I guess my take-away is that it’s good to have these kinds of conversations, to try to be gracious- both in how I give and receive feedback. I’m trying to remember that it’s okay for this to be a messy process, and that I don’t need to get it right all at once. We’re all doing our best and figuring this out together.

The other big bump was that yesterday afternoon Lucy and I both started coming down with the cold Clara has had for a few days. We don’t think it’s coronavirus (main symptoms are sore throat, runny nose, and congestion- no fever or trouble breathing), but it’s still hard to be sick! We still did academic time and creative time this morning, but we switched family walk to family video game playing, and will take it easy this afternoon.

Staying on the couch
I’ve seen a meme going around about how our grandparents were asked to fight in a war, and all we’re being asked to do is sit on a couch. It’s so true and helpful, in that it reminds us that staying home is the collective social action we need to take right now. But it also strikes me that the challenge about staying at home is that it makes it hard to feel like you’re contributing to the collective good, or making a difference in the world. With so much that’s out of our control, what can we do?
My answer to that has been starting up this blog series. As a writer and poet, what I feel I have to offer is my thoughts and reflections. I’ve also loved seeing people offering virtual content online; friends of ours are hosting a daily story hour for kids, Mo Willems is giving free drawing tutorials every day, and musicians are offering free virtual concerts. It makes me wonder if we all have something we can do or give to each other during this time. It could be making and sending cards to family and friends, posting free online music lessons on youtube, hosting a regular virtual check-in time for a group of friends, donating money/supplies to charitable organizations, etc. I’m sure there are so many other ways to share love and encouragement with the people around you, using your unique talents and abilities and resources.

At the same time, I realize some people may not feel like they are in a place where they can give much, either physically or emotionally. It may be that focusing on caring for yourself and your family needs to be your top priority. I believe we all have a beam of love in our hearts that we can shine on ourselves and others. That’s a powerful thing, and whether you shine it on yourself, or in wider circles onto family, friends, or strangers, you are still shining.

The light in me honors the light in you,
Elizabeth



The Spiral

Start here, at the center.

Touch the dot of your heart
with the universe’s love.

Trace your finger in ever
wider circles, let calm
follow and fill your path.

Smooth your wrinkles, frets, fears,
then look to the ones around you.
Each ring of care you draw
will wrap more love around your core.

-EAF




Comments

  1. Yeah, after this past crazy week I've been thinking of figuring out what we might do to support others in our community (global and local). I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest