Fun little things

I thought I'd give you a little tour of my desk area, where I keep a few fun things that help put a little glimmer into the occasional gloomy work day. I just recently discovered some of them in the basement (ah, the eternal Christmas that comes from still-unpacked boxes). Funnily enough, most of them are from my mom, who loves these sorts of things too. :)

So starting at the bottom left corner, there's a paperweight from my alma mater; a Tanzanian carved letter opener; an intricately carved bookmark from our honeymoon; a very funky elephant tape dispenser (I forgot to put his trunk down- it's the green part); a pencil jar from North Africa; a "Love" stone from my mom; a rock with two intersecting white lines that I picked up on a hike once- it reminds me of the cross and of being connected to family even when we're geographically far apart; a card house from the "House of Cards" deck (more on that below); a white statue from Greece, a miniature set of German building blocks, and finally back in the middle, a family of 3 elephants.


I just love looking at bits of color and creativity, to remind me that they are a part of my life too, even if I'm not currently engaging with them.

Here's a picture of more of the cards from the "House of Cards". It's seriously so cool- designed by someone famous and put out by the Museum of Modern Art in NY. The cards have all sorts of art/everyday objects on them, and each card has six slots so you can build with them. Love it!


So, with the aim of making this blog a bit more interactive, here is my question for you: what sorts of little things (animate or inanimate) brighten your slow/dry/gloomy days?

Comments

  1. I've just been playing around with what's on my desk after having my office painted. I've taken out some things that had gotten squirreled away for a few years and I'm enjoying them all over again including a small silver box with a japanese porcelain lid and a little cow bell from the Alps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 4

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 5, bumps, colds, and beams of love