Let there be color


Over the past 5-10 years, I've been realizing that the way to my heart is not through black and white words. Don't get me wrong-- I love reading (always have), but I use it mostly for gathering information, learning about the world, or relaxing. All great things, but they generally don't involve my heart or emotions. And as I've had to learn (though this is probably obvious to most of you!), the heart is actually pretty important--vital, really--for relating to people, including God.

The thing is, I grew up in a Christian protestant tradition (mainstream evengelical and then non-denominational- say that 5 times fast!) which emphasized reading (and studying and memorizing) the Bible as the main way to connect with God. These are all awesome things, but if the goal is nourishing a deep, emotionally-connected relationship with God, I would suggest they may not be the best tools for everyone (or at least, for me).

And so that brings me to the world outside of words.


During Lent I had the joy of being part of an adult "Godly Play" small group. Originally designed for children, it involves telling stories from the Bible using tangible objects, a time of "wondering" about the story, responding individually via art, and then a time of sharing/discussion. I found that the experience of seeing a story acted out (even just with sand and little wood people and a blue ribbon for a river) helped me to understand it and put myself into it so much better than just reading it. And the art response times connected with my heart in deep ways. I was often surprised about what I drew and how powerfully God spoke to me through the creating process.


Those evenings of color and story were so powerful for me, revealing needs I didn't know were there, opening my eyes to new ways God wanted me to follow him. And what I realized was that instead of a departure from biblical tradition, what we did was actually very much in line with the ways that God has related to his people over the centuries.

Black and white words weren't actually used for most of God's interactions with humanity. He started by speaking to them (Abraham), and then many of his laws and doings were conveyed through an oral tradition. Even once they were written down, the spiritual practices were primarily physical and sensual - sacrificing animals, lighting candles and incense, eating the Passover meal, washing hands, singing and blowing horns, etc.


And then, ultimately, there was Jesus, the embodiment of God speaking to us- both person and symbol, word and flesh.

What an encouragement for me to know that it's okay that sitting down in a chair and reading the Bible doesn't have to be the main part of my relationship with God. That drawing Bible verses, painting prayers, writing my own psalms, acting out Bible stories (like my family did when I was young), or dancing to worship music all can be ways of connecting with my loving Father. Who, thankfully, designed all these wonderful ways for us to relate to him!

As exhibit A, look at the verses (17-19) from Habakkuk below. Though written in black and white, they are filled with vivid images. Maybe I'll draw these next...

Comments

  1. this is really beautiful and make me think I should begin doing art as a way of God speaking to my heart. I will talk more with you about this.
    Papajack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listen and gaze

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 8, Nest

Notes from the (social) distance: Day 17, what I miss